Saturday, July 21, 2012

I also brake for yard sales, flea markets, and ok maybe a dumpster!

I am really enjoying reading Lara Spencer's book, "I Brake For Yard Sales"- I feel like I have met a kindred spirit.  And she proves that its more fun to reuse and refurbish, have a piece with a story and uniqueness no matter what your budget.
Recently, my daughter and I did some yard "sale-ing" (Lara's term) to find some inexpensive furnishings for her apartment.  I wish I had taken a before picture of this before, but trust me it was not a looker! For $20 we bought this, painted it black and added new knobs and voila!  You could probably use this in any room of the house but like most 24 year olds she discovered it makes a great bar/liquor cabinet- ok, that works too!
Not a great picture but we got the coffee table for $40- it was actually a nice quality piece and painted it black- for the walls we picked up the black with accents of sepia framed beach prints in black frames.



And while I haven't actually "dived" into any dumpsters...I did rescue this piece from the side of a road, painted with leftover paint and its a cute piece that cost nothing! It must have been in a baby's room as it was white and decorated with decals and now is an our home office and holds our printer.




Three easy steps:
1- Find a piece with solid bones
2- Paint and coat with a finish or wax to protect it
3- Change hardware




No comments:

Post a Comment